Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Official Gabriella and Vanessa Labor Story

On May 18th 2009, 35 weeks pregnant, and at about 9am in the morning I was taken off the IV machine that pumped contraction stopping medications into my system for a little over two months. I felt great and wasn’t feeling any contractions for two hours. The doctors wanted to give me one last ultrasound before they would send me home. I was taken down only to see that my girls were doing great in the belly. I then started to feel a small ache in my belly and asked if they could check me for contractions. Using my smarts, I knew I didn’t want to go home just to have to come back.

The machine showed I was having some but nothing significant. Afterwards I was checked for dilation and their was some. “Go walk around for and hour and come back to get checked.” So I did, and was feeling more pain with every step. The walk showed more dilation and this is when I knew it was time.

I was brought in the Labor and Delivery room where I was monitored more for contractions and changes in my cervix. It was going so much faster than with mylabor for Ian. They decided to break my water. Right after that the pain became worse and worse and I knew it couldn’t be too much longer.

Me in Labor

With experience from my last labor, I asked for the epidural about midway. My Husband was such a trooper, holding on to me while they gave it. Not long after that they said the girls would be arriving soon. For precautions with twins, women are hooked to a monitor and ready to be wheeled off to get a c-section. Most twin births end in a c-section.

They had to rush to put the wires on because I already had to push. A few really good pushes later at 8:47pm Gabriella Catherine arrived looking as healthy as ever weighing 2370g. I didn’t know what I was going to name her until I saw her face, but I knew it was Gabriella at first glance.

The midwife had to then squeeze my belly (I remember she was a petite woman and she was holding so hard she was shaking), to hold the next baby in position so she wouldn’t turn. It was time for me to push again. It was strange to me to be pushing another baby out while I was holding one I birthed just a few minutes before.

Me and Gabriella

Gabriella after she just arrived

Out popped Vanessa Lynn at 8:51pm weighing 2440g. They took her away to another corner of the room and put an oxygen mask on her. I was so worried because many people were crowded around her and I couldn’t see what they were doing. I was repeating over and over, “What is wrong with her? Is she okay.” All she needed was a jumpstart of some oxygen since she was born early. I found out after the fact, that it is typical for the second baby.

Vanessa Needing a Jumpstart

Vanessa getting oxygen

Vanessa After Delivery

I was now officially a mom of twins, two pink little baby girls who couldn’t be anymore perfect. My Husband and I spent the rest of the night holding them tight, even though I was sick with a fever and chills after labor.

My labor could not have gone any more perfect.

Day1- Visiting-Ian

Ian kissing Gabriella the next day

Happy 3 Months Girls!


Kel said...

Awe...the last picture is so sweet! What an amazing story - you made it sound so simple and easy (even though I know it wasn't).

Your girls are beautiful! :)

Allison Says said...

Wow, what a great birth story! I'm so glad everything worked out so well and both girls are so very healthy :)

They are adorable. I love looking through the pictures of flickr!